Haddad in USA
BRAZILIAN OPPOSITION LEADER, FERNANDO HADDAD, IN THE UNITED STATES TO DISCUSS THREATS TO DEMOCRACY IN BRAZIL, MEETS WITH INTERNATIONAL PROGRESSIVE FRONT
Brazil opposition leader Fernando Haddad is visiting the East Coast of the United States, beginning on November 28th. A former Education Minister and former Mayor of São Paulo, Haddad headed the democratic coalition that faced off against the extreme right candidate. Haddad will participate in public events to expose the deteriorating social and political situation in Brazil, meet supporters, and formally join a new, international progressive front, along with US Senator Bernie Sanders and former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis at an event at the Sanders Institute, in Vermont.
One of the central purposes of Haddad’s visit is to raise awareness in the United States of the deteriorating political situation in Brazil, including the continued imprisonment of Luís Inácio Lula da Silva. According to Natália de Campos, one of the organizers of US-based Defend Democracy in Brazil, Haddad’s visit, which also coincides with a national solidarity gathering in New York on December 1st, “will be extremely important in energizing the new network that is emerging between grassroots movements in Brazil and international.” And according to Gianpaolo Baiocchi, a professor at New York University, “Haddad’s visit and the formation of the progressive network represents a turning point in the international resistance to right-wing extremism.”
His agenda will include:
- A public talk at Columbia University’s Institute for Latin American Studies (in Portuguese) on Nov 28th, 4:30-6pm.
- A conversation with Laura Flanders at the People’s Forum on Nov 29th from 6-8pm, organized by Jacobin Magazine.
- Participation in a forum organized by the Sanders Institute on Nov 30th in Burlington, Vermont.
- A conversation with Yanis Varoufakis at the New School for Social Research on December 1, 6-8pm, organized by Jacobin Magazine.
- A visit to the first National Meeting for Democracy in Brazil, at Columbia Law School, on Dec 1, between 9am-5pm.
- Meetings with Council Members of New York.
- Note: all of the above events are Sold Out.
For Press Inquiries, contact: